Thursday, February 26

Ridin' Oily


I spend at least 10 hours per week in the car. Not because of my commute to work. My office is located on the campus of Ave Maria University- a whole mile away from home! I rack up the mileage driving back and forth to Naples, of which Ave Maria is a suburb of sorts. I go into Naples for medical appointments, church ministry, shopping, dining, and entertainment. And due to my recent popularity with visitors, I’m a regular at the local airports, which are at least an hour away. So how can I make the most of this travel time? By ridin’ oily.

I brought my mini USB Orb Diffuser home from work last weekend so I could try putting it in my car. It works great! It sits nicely in a cup holder and plugs into my USB car charger. The Orb Diffuser produces more of a “wet” mist compared to the Home Diffuser. And perhaps due to closer proximity to my face, I think it may cause some post-nasal drip. (TMI?) But overall, I like the setup and being able to diffuse while a drive. It’s a lot better aromatherapy than the alternative…
“Even though I hate to admit it, sometimes I smoke cigarettes. Christian folks say I should quit it…

But I would like to quit. I have a weird guilt complex about smoking, as evidenced by the fact that I rarely do it in public. I smoke from the privacy of my lanai (read: Floridian screened-in porch) or car.

Smoking is horrible for my health. As with all bad habits, it’s become an attachment from which it is difficult to break free. When you want to take something away from a baby or toddler, what do you do? The sneaky switcheroo: replace your slobbered-on phone or keys with something you don’t mind them sticking in their mouths. The thing that needs to be taken away from me is my habit of lighting up immediately upon crossing my self-determined anonymity threshold at approximately 1,000 feet from campus.

If I must have a driving ritual, why not have it be diffusing? I could turn on the diffuser right after starting the car while it’s still in park. This way I’m not adding ANOTHER distraction to my already very distracted driving. My roommate says I drive as if it’s the last thing I’m doing, instead of the first, or heaven forbid, the only thing I’m doing.

Take the cigarette out of one hand and the phone out of the other, and I could actually drive with two hands on the wheel like a normal person. I will miss the knee-driving, but it won’t be necessary if my hands aren't doing anything else. With the relaxation that aromatherapy induces, I'm calmer and experience less of an urge to engage in additional activities.


I’ll just listen to my brother’s banjo recordings while taking in the sweet scent of Joy. (My friend just brought me my brother's CD that I forgot at home, and I cannot wait to stick it in the car and have him serenade me while I drive. That's not a distraction, is it??)



While I've been diffusing Joy in the car the past few days, the first oil we tried at my friend’s request was Thieves. It smelled like Christmas, cigarettes, and frog-legs when we got back to the car after a day at the beach- although I can’t blame the oil for the stench of my leftovers or the stale smoke. Perfume, for example, doesn't cover up body odor- it mixes with it.

My friend also pointed out the irony in my simultaneous self-destructive and health-enhancing habits: smoking and diffusing. I'd like to work on consistency- wouldn't we all?

I've enjoyed riding oily so much that I’m ordering another mini orb diffuser so I can permanently have one in both my office and car. Perhaps I will become a healthier AND safer driver... miracles happen every day.

1 comment: